We would like to extend a welcome to all our families that are returning from a summer break and to the new families that are joining our elementary program for the first time this 2020-21 school year. TAISM plans to be responsive to the current conditions in Oman and will adhere to any Oman Ministry of Education directives. The elementary online learning program will emphasize student-teacher and student-student interaction. These practices will be incorporated to build relationships and support each child in their learning with guided practice, problem-solving, collaboration, and social-emotional well being.
The Elementary School will start the year following the normal 6-day cycle in a synchronous (real time) model. A more detailed description for each grade level will be shared with families at the start of the school year. A basic model of the day will include:
|Online Learning Kindergarten - Grade 5|
|8:30 AM||Start of the School Day|
|Morning classes (including specials and recess)|
Lunch - Times vary dependent upon Grade Level
|Afternoon classes (including specials)|
|3:30 PM||End of School Day|
- Synchronous learning - 8:30 - 3:30 pm GST (Recess/Lunch offline)
- Synchronous sessions will include whole class activities and small group instruction.
- Specialist classes include Art, PE, Music, Library, World Languages (Gr 2-5), and Technology and coding.
Synchronous morning meetings will start each day in the elementary school. The purpose of the morning meeting is to provide a structured time to address the academic, social, and personal needs of students in each class. This is also a great time to build in class routines, collaboration, and relationships. Attendance will be taken each day during the morning meeting.
Learning activities are intended to replicate, as best we can online, class activities that would have occurred at school. Throughout the course of each day, you can expect a variety of levels of interaction and a mixture of learning activities - large group live meetings, small group collaborative sessions, individual work time, and live teacher feedback. Teachers will make careful and deliberate decisions about format, based on the learning goals for the class period.
All students from Kindergarten to Grade 5 are issued a school I-Pad for use at home.
School-issued iPads are intended for educational purposes. Apps that will be used are preloaded on the device and Seesaw and TAISM mail can be easily accessed. Use of social media applications or non-education related games are prohibited on the school iPad.
In the Elementary School, we will continue to use Seesaw as our main learning platform for online learning. Each class will have its own individualized Seesaw room, specific to the classroom teacher. Additionally, teachers will make use of synchronous video conferencing.
Assessment helps teachers to know our students and guide our instruction. Students will be expected to reflect on their growth with consistent, quality feedback. Students will be asked to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways. Students will have opportunities to communicate learning, share their thinking, and receive and respond to feedback. Assessment strategies will vary depending on the standards being addressed in the unit.
Grading and Reporting:
and reporting student progress will follow our regular grading practices and scale. Feedback will be given regularly to students and academic achievement will be reported using the descriptors from our regular grading scale:
- Exemplary - excels at Grade Level Standards
- Secure at Grade Level Standards
- Approaching Grade Level Standards
- Emerging at Grade Level Standards
For students who have not been sufficiently engaged a grade of insufficient evidence may be required. Insufficient evidence denotes that the teacher does not have the required information to determine a grade at the time of reporting.
During online learning, we will also report progress on several of the Behaviors that Support Learning. Progress in the Behaviors that support learning are reported using the scale: Consistently, Sometimes, and Rarely
Teachers will be available during the school day to communicate with students during the class period that the student is engaged with the teacher. Additional appointments or help-sessions may be scheduled, as needed.
The Elementary School counselor will continue to be available during this time for regular appointments, or check-ins as needed, through both email, phone, and video conferencing.
Email is the preferred mode of communication between parents and teachers, should the need arise. Parents are also encouraged to be signed up to your elementary family seesaw platform from each class. Classroom seesaw will provide either a daily or weekly summary of all content sent out to students from each class.
As an elementary parent during an online learning experience, it is important to recognize that students will benefit from support, guidance and involvement in the learning process. Whether a child is 4 years old or in 5th grade, we ask all parents to ensure they are involved in the learning experience, assisting with access, and supporting learning as needed.
- Monitor your student’s engagement in their classes and assist with reminders about their synchronous class schedule.
- Establish a routine where a designated workspace is identified.
- Engage with your student about their learning - ask your child to summarize what they are working on in each class.
- Help your student advocate for their learning by reminding them to seek assistance when needed.
- Stay informed about what your child is learning about through Seesaw updates and regular check-ins with your child.
- Help your student establish a nightly charging routine for their school-issued iPad.
- Monitor the use of the school iPad per your regular family agreements about technology use.
- Keep in mind that elementary school students are social beings - opportunities for students to connect with others are encouraged.
- Please inform the teacher and the elementary office when your child is going to be absent from school. The Elementary School Office phone number is 2459-5180, extension 131. Attendance is taken at 8:40 a.m. each morning.
In an online learning environment, students will have access to technology more than is typical. All students are expected to recognize that the online learning environment expectations for behavior are the same as in regular school experiences. Students are expected to abide by the school’s Technology Acceptable Use Agreement as well as the Elementary Code of Conduct for interacting at school as communicated in the elementary student/parent handbook.
- Establish daily routines for engaging in the learning experiences (8:30 am start)
- Identify a comfortable, quiet space in your home where you can work effectively
- Attend synchronous sessions by video, including attendance in the morning meeting
- Students are expected to remain present in synchronous lessons as active participants
- Collaborate and support your peers in their learning
- Complete assignments with integrity and academic honest to the best of your ability
- Communicate with your teachers if you are struggling to meet deadlines or require additional support
In order to secure support or provide feedback, the following options beyond students’ teachers are available during an online learning experience.
ES Principal - email@example.com
ES Associate Principal - firstname.lastname@example.org
Eman Al Mujani